6:20 AM
0

Earlier tonight, my mother-in-law's desktop with Windows XP installed was in trouble tonight particularly NTLDR is missing file press CTRL + ALT + DEL to restart.

This was actually the second time it happens at the said PC. The solution I did the first time I encountered the NTLDR is missing error was to simply obtained a copy from my PC and viola it works. Tonight is quite different, my pc is still out of service so I can't slave the hard disk of the PC with the said error. Which I actually did to copy the missing system file.

Since I will be bothering our neighbor for me to implement the first solution, this time around I tried another solution. What I did was to run the Windows XP CD and installed a new one. Reformat? not really. I just installed a new Windows at the default drive which is C:\. During the installation, it has detected a folder Windows and the installer asked two question, sounds like, do I want to overwrite the same folder or use another. Of course I choose another folder and named it Windows2.

After the installation process, I expect it would be a dual-boot but it wasn't really. So, I just opened the newly installed Windows XP. Hmm everything was intact and checked the system files such as ntldr, ntuser, ntdetect and boot are existing. With that, I decided to edit the boot.ini file with the following details:

After installing new Windows XP at Windows2 folder of drive C:

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\Windows2
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\Windows2="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn






Edited with this

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\Windows
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\Windows="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn





Technically, I just pointed the boot file to locate the previous Windows XP installtion. Pressed restart and viola.It works as usual. No installation of sound, videocard drivers and other softwares. NTLDR is missing solved. Hope I've shared helpful solution.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting into this post. I will have it published if it isn't spam