9:23 AM
0

Chief Executive of News International Rebekah Brooks, in her resignation letter
Rebekah Brooks

She wrote:
At News International we pride ourselves on setting the news agenda for the right reasons. Today we are leading the news for the wrong ones.
Therefore I have given Rupert and James Murdoch my resignation. While it has been a subject of discussion, this time my resignation has been accepted.
Rupert's wisdom, kindness and incisive advice has guided me throughout my career and James is an inspirational leader who has shown me great loyalty and friendship. 
I would like to thank them both for their support. 
In the letter she said she would still be attending the culture, media and sport select committee hearing next Tuesday.

Both politicians & campaigners calls for Brooks' resignation after News of The World allegedly hacked into murdered schoolgirl Milly Dowler's phone while still editor at the Sunday paper.

Meanwhile,Rupert Murdoch, chairman of News Corp, will meet the family of Milly Dowler  face-to-face in central London on Friday.

James Murdoch praises Brooks from his statement released, saying:
"She has been one of the outstanding editors of her generation and she can be proud of many accomplishments as an executive"